Tuesday 1 February 2011

Quiet Pub

As I know, most pubs in China could be noisy and also dangerous places. Even though there are some quiet pubs, you can seldom see many elder people there. However, my experience in York’s pub really changed my view towards pubs.
Last week I went to a student’s pub near York University. It was pretty quiet when we got there at 8:00pm. We ordered something and sat down chatting. Though the music in Pub is loud, I still feel it so quiet that we are not willing to talk and laugh loudly. It’s about 9 or 10 pm that the pub warmed up as many more students finished their classes. Also, we saw some elder people there. But this warm atmosphere did not last long. The pub was closed at the beginning of 11:00.  This was quite of my surprise.
It seems the pub here is just like the tea house in our country, especially around my school, where people meet friends and chat in a comfortable quiet place. Atmosphere as well as the function of the pub and the tea house seems the same. The only difference is that we drink tea instead of alcohol.
When I went to Marmaris in Turkey last summer, I went to some Discos. There people can be crazily noisy just like most pubs and discos in China. In my point of view, the pub and disco in China are similar as they are usually very noisy. While in western countries they may have different functions. That’s why we can also see elder people in pubs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jing

    I've never heard anyone compare a pub to a tea house, but I really like the comparison. Perhaps that's the difference between a pub and a bar. I don't know, but it sounds like a good difference. Pubs seem to be more homely, while bars attract younger people who are on a night out and who don't want to stay in one place all night.


    TNT

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete